Latest News

Newsletter Signup

Enter your email address here to sign up


Gallery

Go to the photo gallery
Funding for small island piers granted
15-Aug-2011

Grant of €67,000 sanctioned by Minister of State McGinley for lighting on piers on Donegal islands

Dinny McGinley T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, has announced today (Thursday 11th August) a grant amount of €67,000 to Donegal County Council towards the provision of lighting on various piers on off-shore islands in Donegal.

This is a 75% grant with the remaining 25% being funded by the County Council. Announcing the grant, Minister McGinley said that he is very pleased to approve this grant to the County Council as safety is extremely important in the context of the islands. “The provision of new and in some cases, additional lighting for these piers is evidence of the commitment of this Government to ensuring the continued viability of our island lifestyle. At a time when there is unprecedented pressure on resources, I am particularly pleased to make this allocation.”

Minister Mc Ginley added, “our off shore islands have a unique attraction and these facilities will I know greatly enhance them as a tourist destination as well as for the islanders themselves.”

Location                           Type of light                    Number                                 Cost
Gola Island                        Conventional                        3                                 €10,500
Inishsirrer                           Hybrid                                  1                                €14,500
Rutland Island                 Conventional                           1                                  €4,000
Island Roy – Cabhsa      Conventional                            3                                  €9,000
-Sleamhnán                                                                     1                                 €4,000
Inishmeane                          Hybrid                                 1                                €14,500
Owey Island                         Hybrid                                 1                                €10,500

 TOTAL     €67,000

Back To Latest News Page